Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 1- Monarchs Arrive

Ms. Jessica and Ms. Jo's kindergartners will be raising Monarchs again! This time we will be raising the Monarchs along with the Monarchs that will be going to space!
Atlantis will carry three 4th in star monarch caterpillars supplied by Monarch Watch to the International Space Station (ISS) in a small rearing chamber. This chamber will be placed in an incubator on board the ISS where the developing monarchs will be monitored. Still and video cameras will continually capture images, which will be made available online.

The Monarch's arrived on Thursday, November 13th. I introduced them to the class on Friday. We talked about the rearing chamber and the space shuttle that the other monarchs will be on. I showed them the Monarchs in space website. Which is:
http://www.monarchwatch.org/space/ Please go there to read more about this program!

Here are some pictures of our monarchs and the rearing chamber. We will be recording our observations of these caterpillars on this blog!

4 comments:

  1. This is WONDERFUL your taking the time to participate in this awesome educational opportunity. Teachers like you plant the seed of learning! I am participating as a individual. I am looking forward to your knew photos and posts on your growing Monarch Caterpillars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excuse my typo of knew... I meant new LOL, I am VERY excited about this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome blog FDNSC kindergarten! Ella says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go kindergarten. This is a fantastic blog. I can't wait to see what happens with the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete